Jason Billam has dedicated his career to defending clients charged with the most serious and complex crimes for over 15 years. Mr. Billam has represented countless high-profile clients including two notable Capital Murder cases: State of Kansas v. John E. Robinson (profiled in Time Magazine) and State of Kansas v. Darrell Stallings.
Mr. Billam began his legal career at Watson & Dameron, LLP learning a broad base of the law including civil, plaintiff’s litigation, immigration, and criminal defense. Deciding to hone his skills as a criminal defense trial attorney, he joined the Johnson County Public Defender’s Office in 2003 to expand his felony trial experience. Mr. Billam handled diverse felony cases including crimes of violence, white collar, DUI, domestic violence and theft.
In 2005, he joined with Courtney Henderson to co-found Billam & Henderson, LLC, a law firm devoted to advocating for people accused of crimes. Since 2005, Mr. Billam has advocated on behalf of hundreds of clients ranging from disorderly conduct to first degree murder. Mr. Billam has gained invaluable experience handling DUI and traffic matters in the city municipal courts in both Kansas and Missouri which he uses to benefit his new clients.
Mr. Billam has assisted the Lawrence Police Department in its Academy mock trial exercise on trial preparation and testimony and he remains a trusted pro tem judge by many 10th Judicial District Court Judges.
Mr. Billam is the Technology Chair on the Board of Directors for the Kansas Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys. He was a Super Lawyer’s Rising Star from 2010 to 2012. He was a Top 40 Under 40 Attorney as awarded by The National Trial Lawyers. He was recognized as part of the Nation’s Top Once Percent by the National Association of Distinguished Counsel in 2015. Closer to home, he served a two-year term on his local PTO, responsible for Playgrounds and Safety.
A local boy, Mr. Billam grew up in Olathe and has been in the Kansas City Metro area his entire life. He earned his Bachelor of Arts in Business from Emporia State University and received his Juris Doctorate from the University of Kansas in 2000.
Mr. Billam is a formidable violent crime attorney and successfully defends our clients in all aspects of criminal law at the State and Appellate levels in both Kansas and Missouri.
Areas of Practice
- Violent Crime
- Property Crime
- Domestic Violence Crime
- Traffic Tickets
- Sex Crimes
- Criminal Appeals
- Drug Crime
- U.S. District Court Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court District of Kansas
- University of Kansas School of Law, Lawrence, Kansas
- J.D. – 2000
- Emporia State University, Emporia, Kansas
- B.A. – 1997
Honors and Awards
- Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2011
- Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2010
- Top 40 Under 40, The National Trial Lawyers, 2012
- Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2012
- Nation’s Top Attorneys, The National Association of Distinguished Counsel, 2015 – Present
- Top 40 Under 40, The National Trial Lawyers, , 2013 – 2015
- Nation’s Top Attorneys – The National Association of Distinguished Counsel
- The National Advocacy for DUI Defense, LLC as a Top 50 DUI Attorney in Kansas
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Johnson County Bar Association
- Kansas Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member, Board of Directors
- Missouri Bar Association, Member
- Kansas Bar Association, Member
- National College for DUI Defense, Member
- Kansas Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys, Technology Chair, Board of Directors
Past Employment Positions
- 10th Judicial District Defender’s Office, Assistant District Defender, 2002 – 2005
- Watson & Dameron, LLP, Associate , 2000 – 2002